Headstones placed by the Bowling Camp

William Thomas Wallis

Sergeant, 1st Maryland Infantry, Company E, CSA
Private, 1st Maryland Cavalry, Company B, CSA
Born: 30 August 1831
Died: 29 September 1906

William Thomas Wallis was born in Kent County, Maryland. He enlisted at Harper's Ferry, Virginia on 23 May 1861 with the First Maryland Infantry, Company E, and was promoted to the rank of Sergeant four months later. He served in the Valley Campaign and was shot in the abdomen in June 1862. After staying in the hospital at Culpepper, VA for seven months, he was discharged from service on 16 January 1863. After his recovery, he reenlisted in the First Maryland Cavalry, Company B about July 1864. He was captured at Moorefield, VA on 7 August 1864, and was sent as a Prisoner of War to Camp Chase, Ohio. He was released on 13 May 1865. He settled in Croom, Maryland, Married Susan B. Hollyday, and raised five children. He is buried at Saint Thomas Episcopal Church Cemetery in Croom.

Austin Miles Dyer

Private, 1st Maryland Cavalry, Company B, CSA
Born: 26 September 1841, Tenleytown, Prince George's County, MD.
Died: 25 March 1911, Dentsville, Charles County, MD.

Austin Miles Dyer was born on Oaklawn near Tenleytown, Maryland, the son of Giles F. and Jane Cecelia (Miles) Dyer. On 10 September 1863, he enlisted in the First Maryland Cavalry, Company B, CSA at Charlottesville, VA. Serving under Captain George M. Emack, his unit saw action in Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland, including Brandy Station, Bladensburg, and Appomattox Court House. Following the war, he attended and graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in MA. He married Mary Cecelia Queen of Locust Hill and raised two sons; Julian and Joseph, and three daughters; Mary, Janet, and Annie Louise. On 17 September 1900, he joined the George M. Emack Camp, United Confederate Veterans, and remained an active member until his death on 25 March 1911. He is buried in St. Mary's Catholic Church Cemetery, Bryantown, Maryland.

John Zachariah Downing

Private, 1st Maryland Infantry, Company H, CSA
Corporal, 2nd Maryland Infantry, Company B, CSA
Born: 10 May 1841, Charles County, Maryland
Died: 23 May 1927, Prince George's County, Maryland

John Zachariah Downing was born near Gallant Green, MD, the son of John T. and Susannah Harriet (Dent) Downing. A student at Charlotte Hall when the War Between the States began, he crossed the Potomac to join the Confederate Army. On 15 June 1861, at Richmond, he enlisted as a private in the First Maryland Infantry, Company H, CSA. The 1st Maryland Infantry participated in nearly every skirmish and battle of Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign from Front Royal to Cross Keys. At the end of his one-year enlistment, Private Downing was honorably discharged on 15 June 1862. Two months later, on 27 August 1862, he reenlisted as a Corporal in the newly formed 2nd Maryland Infantry Regiment, Company B. With the Second Maryland, he fought at the Battle of Winchester, was decorated for bravery at Gettysburg, and fought at Cold Harbor. On 18 August 1864, he was wounded in the left thigh at the Battle of the Weldon Railroad. Following a stay in the Chimborazo Hospital to recover from his wound, Corporal Downing rejoined the Second Maryland near Petersburg where he was captured in battle on 2 April 1865. He was sent as a Prisoner of War to Point Lookout, Maryland, where he remained until signing the Oath of Allegiance on 11 June 1865. John Zachariah Downing returned to his home in Charles County, MD where he completed his education and became a schoolteacher. He married Elizabeth Richardson and raised seven children; Dent, Cora Lee, John Lloyd, Margaret Jane, Mattie Estelle, Bernard, and Hubert. In later years, he served as a Justice of the Peace, farmed tobacco, and was an official of the State Tobacco Warehouse in Baltimore. He died on 23 May 1927 at the age of 86 at his residence "Black Swamp" near Westwood, Prince George's County, MD. He is buried in the Downing family cemetery, located on the west side of Croom Road (Route 382), one mile north of Route 381.

Franklin Alexander Robinson

Private, 5th Virginia Infantry, CSA
Born: 18 February 1841, Prince George's County, MD
Died: 15 July 1905, Prince George's County, MD

Franklin Alexander Robinson was raised on Potomac Landing Farm, near Cheltenham, Maryland, the son of Thomas W. and Elizabeth I. (Richards) Robinson. During the War Between the States (1861-1865) he crossed the Potomac River into Virginia and enlisted as a Private in the Fifth Virginia Infantry, Stonewall Jackson Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA. His regiment saw action at the Battles of: Falling Waters, First Manassas, Kearnstown, Port Republic, Gaines Farm, Cedar Mountain, Second Manassas, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Bealton Station, Payne's Farm, The Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, and Fort Stedman. Listed on the National Archive Muster Rolls as a Prisoner of War in April 1865, he signed the Oath of Allegiance to the United States and was paroled to his home at the War's end. Franklin Robinson returned to farming in Prince George's County and became an active leader in community service. At the time of his death in 1905, he was Senior Warden on the Vestry of St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Croom, MD. He is buried next to his brother, Richard T. Robinson in the Church of the Atonement Cemetery, Cheltenham, Maryland. In accordance with his final wishes his Grave faces south.

James George Robinson

Private, 5th Battalion, Virginia Infantry, Company F, CSA
Born: 11 July 1835
Died: 13 April 1883

James George Robinson was born and raised on Potomac Landing Farm, near Cheltenham, Maryland, the son of Thomas W, and Elizabeth I. (Richards) Robinson. In April 1861, at the start of the War Between the States, he, along with his brother Franklin A. Robinson, crossed the Potomac River into Virginia. He enlisted at Richmond as a Private in Company F, 5th Battalion Virginia Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia, CSA. His record indicates that he served in the local defense of Richmond. Union Forces captured Private Robinson while he was visiting St. Mary's County, Maryland on 15 May 1864. He was incarcerated as a Prisoner of War at Point Lookout until the war's end, when on 14 May 1865, he signed the Oath of Allegiance to the United States. He was paroled to his home where he returned to a life of farming and carpentry. On 11 March 1868, James Robinson married Mary Rebecca Waring. She died on 9 January 1870. He married Mary A. Buckler on 30 November 1871. They had four children and resided in Sandgates, St. Mary's County. James Robinson died on 13 April 1883 at the age of 47 and is buried at Mount Zion Methodist Church Cemetery, Laurel Grove, Maryland, on the east side of Route 235.

John Hanson Thomas, Jr.

Private, 1st Maryland Cavalry, Company B, CSA
Residence: Croom, Maryland
Born: 1844
Died: 1902

Mortimer W. Turton

Private, 1st Maryland Cavalry, Company E. CSA
Residence: Nottingham, Maryland
Born: 1829
Died: 1889

Aquila Henry Wilson

Private, 1st Maryland Cavalry, Company B, CSA
Residence: Nottingham, Maryland
Born: 22 May 1832
Died: 19 May 1901

The above listed three men; Privates Thomas, Turtin, and Wilson were all members of the First Maryland Cavalry, CSA. The First MD Cavalry saw action in numerous skirmishes and battles throughout Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland including; Brandy Station, Bladensburg, and Appomattox Court House. In July 1864, they were the advance unit of General Early's forces for a planned raid on Point Lookout Prisoner of War Camp. During that time, they spent several days in Southern Prince George's County awaiting reinforcements. Because Union knowledge of Early's plan became known, the raid was cancelled and the 1st Maryland Cavalry was recalled to Virginia. Following the war, Privates Thomas, Turton, and Wilson returned to their homes in Prince George's County, Maryland, where they were members of Saint Thomas Episcopal Parish in Croom, MD. Headstones for each man were installed and dedicated at St. Thomas Church on 17 June 1990.

Thomas A. Jones

Chief Agent of the Confederate Secret Service
Died: 1895
Tombstone Dedication: June 22, 2002

Perhaps the most useful of all the men connected with the C. S. Secret Service was Thomas A. Jones of Maryland. His farm was bounded on the west by the Potomac River and on the north by Pope's Creek. His house was a frame building on a bluff 80 feet high, overlooking the river. He could stand in his back yard and look seven or eight miles up the river. Down the river, he could see as far as the eye could reach. The Potomac was comparatively narrow at this place, and the creek afforded excellent opportunities for landing and hiding boats. Not only Mr. Jones, but all his neighbors were in hearty sympathy with the South. Hence this became the chief point of junction between the routes of agents in the North and the couriers in the South. Mr. Jones frequently crossed the river, though it was two miles wide, twice in a single night and sometimes oftener. Hundereds of people who were allowed to do so by the Confederate authorities crossed at Jones' Ferry. On the Virginia side of the river was the farm of Benjamin Grimes in King George County. He heartily co-operated with Mr. Jones and with the agents of the Confederacy. Of course, no little courage and prudence were required to carry on these operations. The Potomac River was guarded with many gunboats and other craft, armed patrols guarded the Maryland shore, and the Federal Government had a spy on nearly every river farm in Southern Maryland. In addition to these, a detachment of troops was stationed at Pope's Creek and another on Major Watson's place, not 300 yards from Mr. Jones house. But none of these precautions availed against the audacity and cunning of the Confederate agents. On the Virginia side, a signal camp was established in a swamp back of Grimes' house. The boats for the mail service, swift and strong, were kept on the Virginia side. A little before sunset, the reflection of the high bluffs near Pope's Creek extended out into the Potomac until it nearly met the shadow cast by the Virginia woods. At that hour of the evening it was very difficult to detect so small an object as a row boat on the river. The Federal pickets did not go on duty till after sunset. It was, therefore, arranged that the boat from Grimes' should cross just before sunset, deposit the packages on Jones' shore, and take back the packet for Richmond from the North, which would be found in the came place, if for some reason Jones was not on the beach in person when the boat came over from Virginia. If it was not safe for the boat to cross from Virginia, a black dress or shawl was hung as a warning in a certain dormer window of Major Watson's house, right over the heads of the troops stationed there. The person who attended to this signal was Miss Mary Watson. Of this lady, Mr. Jones once wrote: "Miss Watson was a remarkably pretty young lady, 24 years of age. She would have made almost any sacrifice for the Confederacy, and I know that I owe in great measure the success which attended the management of the Confederate mail to her ceaseless vigilance and skill. About the close of the war, she married Dr. C---, who had been a blockade runner, and went to California to live.

Jones Helped Booth In Assassin's Flight: It was Mr. Jones who helped John Wilkes Booth to cross the Potomac River five days after the assassination of President Lincoln. This fact he was able to keep a secret for nearly 30 years. It was well that he could do so, for in the passion of the hour he would surely have been sacrificed for a crime for which he felt no sympathy. For a number of years he was employed in the Washington Navy Yard and died in 1895. After conveying Booth to the Virginia side of the river, Jones was offered $100,000 for information which would disclose the hiding place of the assassin. He was a poor man and he knew exactly where Booth was at that time. But he said nothing and thus refused what would have made him a wealthy man. Such was the heroic fibre of some of the men who were in our Secret Service. He is buried in St. Mary's Cemetery family cemetery, located

Michael Stone Robertson

Captain, lst Maryland Infantry, Company I, CSA
Born: 1838, Charles County, Maryland
Died: June 6,1862, Battle of Harrisonburg, Harrisonburg, VA
Cross of Honor Dedication: May 22, 2004

Michael Stone Robertson was the son of George Robertson and Eleanor Stone, and the grandson of Michael Jenifer Stone and Mary Harrison Brisco. In June of 1861 he crossed the Potomas River to Richmond and volunteered in the Confederate service - first under General Beauregard. On Friday, June 6, 1862, the First Maryland again distinguished itself at the battle of Harrisonburg, but sustained severe losses. A couple miles east of Harrisonburg, General George H. Steuart's brigade, the 58th Virginia, the First Maryland, and the 44th Virginia encountered the "Pennsylvania Bucktails". These units left the road and filed to the right through the fields, soon changing direction again so as to move parallel to the road. General Ewell soon sent for two of First Maryland companies as skirmishers. Moving cautiously through the darkening shades of the tangled wood just as the evening twilight was brightening the trees in front in an opening began a dropping fire from the skirmishers, and instantly the 58th Virginia poured in a volley. Another volley was fired. The leaves began to fall, and the bullets hit the trees around. General Ewell came up in a gallop. 'Charge, Colonel, charge to the left.' And, they charged, got to the edge of the wood, and found a heavy body of infantry and cavalry supporting a battery on a hill six hundred yards in front. But the Yankee balls came fast and thick on the flank. The men were ordered to take the hill. In less than five seconds the first rank of the second company went down. One of those shot and killed was Captain Michael Stone Robertson. Captain Robertson was buried on the banks of the Shennandoah River, and later removed to the present site in Faulkner, Maryland, on the old Robertson farm, "Equality".